Friday, April 20, 2007

Lord, Have Mercy



I just heard the rant-message actor Alec Baldwin left on his 11-year-old daughter's cell phone. Lord have mercy on them both.

What damage parents inflict on their children. The pain in Baldwin's voice is obvious. He's in agony himself.

Yet, his tone is so ugly and menacing, as he accuses his daughter of hurting him (by having her cell phone turned off when he called), and calling her a "pig" and telling her he's going to "straighten her out" when he sees her.

Hearing it made me cringe, and I'm a grown woman.

Lord have mercy on them both. They both need healing. Perhaps daughter Ireland, in the middle of her parents' ugly divorce (her mother is actress Kim Basinger), should be in the custody of neither. Ireland's mother apparently released the tape, as ammunition in her custody case. Doesn't Basinger have a clue this harms her daughter even more?

How many times a day do scenes like that play out, unheard because the parents are not famous?

God have mercy, and heal all the hurting human beings who hurt each other.

God, please don't let parents wound their children so.

2 comments:

Wormwood's Doxy said...

I saw the transcript and couldn't believe my eyes. Did he really believe he was going to make any headway with those words?

But I agree that Basinger was wrong to release the tape. If she feared for the girl's safety, the court of law (rather than the one of public opinion) was the right venue.

That poor little girl. I pray that I never do *that* kind of damage to my children.

June Butler said...

My granddaughter has a cell phone for her father, my son, to call her on, when she's with her mother. She forgets to turn it on sometimes, but he has not reprimanded her for it. I hope he takes a lesson from this bust-up and never does.
The two spoiled celebs don't seem to have a clue about the damage they're doing to their daughter.