Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Moments of joy



Acchhh. So when did life ever get easy? Mine hasn't. It seems like I have to tread water harder and harder just to get my nose above water.

I was sick last week with a virus making the rounds -- went home from work early a couple of days, but still worked this weekend. I woke up Sunday so exhausted I almost skipped church. Finally, the need for Communion pushed me out of bed, and I got there in time to hear most of the sermon (and was glad I did).

None of the travails loom as toweringly as they might. I've had such bursts of joy in the past month or two. I don't know why. I can't explain it except to say it's a gift from God.

Walking my dog on these spring mornings, I've found myself praising God in voice and song for the beauty of his creation. Praising with exhilaration. Quiet contentment steals over me as I wash dishes, or drive down the highway.

Living in joy all the time isn't possible, except for the extremely medicated, maybe, but it's these moments of joy that make life good, and get me through the hard patches.

Thanks, God.

No comments: