Thursday, May 20, 2004

It's been an incredibly busy week, with so many things to blog about I haven't taken the time to sit down, organize my thoughts and do it. Here's one of the things on my mind:

The awful truth

I've mentioned work a few times without saying what I do, which is work for a small newspaper. I don't exactly feel like a "journalist" -- I think of Washington Post or New York Times correspondents as "journalists." Writing features on businesses around town, church events, candidates for area city commissions and other locals is hardly the big leagues.

Now, though, I can claim to be a political columnist. My second anti-war piece in my own editorial-page column is being published this week.

This is strange in a good sort of way.

Five years ago, I could not have imagined this on the horizon. Writing has come out of my experience with the Holy Spirit. It began with some poetry, just for myself. Then I submitted some to a religious journal, where a couple of my poems and then essays were published. I started working at a local newspaper a little over a year ago.

When I was young, I wanted to write. Confidence in my ability to do it (and submit it!!) got lost along the way somewhere. It took the nudging of the Holy Spirit to get me to put fingertips to keyboard.

I'm still an amateur writer in most ways, but I'm following the Spirit, confident that God will lead me in the direction I am to go if I listen carefully.

More news later.

No comments: