Sunday, September 26, 2004

Too tired for this

Hurricane Jeanne made landfall last night, near Vero Beach, Fla. It looks like she will skirt to the south and west of us instead of tracking directly over my county, as predicted Friday.

We will still get tropical-storm weather today, and may get some hurricane force gusts soon, as some of the storm's bands move ashore, said a TV weathercaster, with entirely too chipper a tone in his voice.

No one I've talked too has the psychic or physical energy to deal with this. We're all tapped out from Charley and Frances, and to some degree, from Ivan.

I forced myself through the hurricane drill, filling jugs and cleaning the bathtub and filling it with water. Securing all the outdoor things. Tidying and cleaning up. Putting together a new camp lantern I bought with with my hurricane provisions.

I gritted my teeth and did it, grumbling and complaining, then cooked some chicken to have for today. Lastly, I took an extremely long, hot, shower and tumbled into bed.

I didn't have the energy to post an entry last night, though I wanted to, thinking the power would be out by this morning. It's still on, for now. Thank goodness.

I had a good night's sleep, snuggled under the covers as the air conditioning blasted. My few excursions outside last night to check the weather took me into a sauna -- hot and wet.

Now I'll have to see what today brings, remembering those who are in Jeanne's direct path, in great danger from this hurricane.

Dear Lord, keep us all safe, in the palm of your hand.

No comments: