Saturday, October 23, 2004

conspiracy theories

I've had some intuitions lately. They are nothing for which I have any proof. You could call these thoughts speculation. Some intuitive leaps I pay more attention to than others, though.

Here goes.

I have the feeling there was a connection between 9-11 and another Bush being in the White House. That there was some falling out between the Bush family and Arab oil interests during Desert Storm. That some Arab-Saudi factions have been really angry with the Bush (Sr.) White House and with the Bush family.

Remember how Bush Sr. pushed into Iraq then, but stopped short of going after Saddam Hussein? He seemed to really want to go after him, but then backed down.

Later, Dubya wanted revenge against those who wanted to get his pappy.

There was some betrayal, or at least a perceived betrayal, which left some factions really angry, I have come to think. While there were Arab terrorists before the Bushes, 9-11 wasn't your run-of-the-mill terrorist strike.

Politics, oil, money and power all make strange bedfellows, and the Bushes have been beholden to Arab oil interests for many years. Those ties continue, because they're in the best interests of both parties. But I'm really wondering what animosities might lie beneath the surface.

In the meantime, perhaps coincidentally -- or not -- the anti-Muslim faction of the ultraconservative Christian right is growing. I'm one of those lucky people who gets stuff from both the left and right, and I've been seeing a trend, such as anecdotes that "prove" the superiority of Christianity over Islam in a hostile "my God is better than your God" sort of way. (I'm a proponent of Christianity, but not for their reasons.)

I've heard talk from preachers about how all Muslims believe it is their duty to kill all Christians so they can go to heaven, and we should be prepared for a religious war.

I've begun to think there is a political orchestration behind this, feeding on fear of Arab terrorists and cultural differences. Considering the political ties of the religious right-wing to the Bush right and some of the propaganda that's come out of the White House to justify the war, it doesn't seem such an outrageous thought. The political orchestrations of the IRD and like groups also make me much more willing to consider such possibilities than I would have a few years ago.

In some Christian fundamentalist circles, there is a real desire for Armageddon and the end days. After all, they think they're going to be "raptured" up to heaven with the other right-thinkers. A Muslim-Christian religious war could well bring about the beginning of the end.


Paranoid conspiracy theories? You be the judge.

No comments: