Friday, November 28, 2003

How I spent my Thanksgiving

I had a great Thanksgiving this year. I'm still recuperating from it.

First, I got up a little after 6 a.m. and started doing the cleaning I should have already done, and the cooking. I baked pumpkin and pecan pies. I made a sweet potato casserole. I roasted a turkey and a ham. I cleaned and cleaned because my house has been a grubby mess. I took a break long enough to write the preceding blog. Straightened up, took a shower (figured I'd better, before people started showing up).

And they started showing up. One brought a folding card table for extra seating, as I just have a little cafe-size table for two, and a bag full of homemade rolls. One came with wine and beer and went to work peeling potatoes for the mashed potatoes. I mashed the potatoes and put dressing and the sweet potatoes in the oven. More came, bearing wine and string beans with onions.

One went over to pick up my mother from the ALF for me. I had picked her up after work Wednesday and brought her to my house to spend the night and Thanksgiving day with me, but she decided she didn't want to stay overnight, so I ended up taking her back.

Right after he left to fetch her, I got a call from the police--Mom was in a restaurant downtown and had been there about a half-hour--they wanted someone to come pick her up right away, could someone be there in the next ten minutes. (I never did get what the "or else" would be -- would they take her to the police station? Book the old lady, Dano! Or to the psych ward at the hospital?) Anyhow, I called the ALF and they hadn't noticed her missing yet. They dispatched security posthaste to pick her up, THEN my friend brought her over to my house. Mom said she thought she had been sleepwalking. She had laid down to take a nap and dreamed about going somewhere.

Well, what's a holiday without a little drama?

Not quite as many people made it to my house as I expected, but we ended up with six. A good number to enjoy food and conversation. Sat around in the living room after dinner and help with clean-up, and talked more. I had a great time. I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

I have been worn out today. Went back to bed and took a nap this afternoon. Laid around the house, nibbling on leftovers. (I'm going to freeze some ham and turkey.) Thought more on things for which to give thanksgiving, like my spiritual director. She picks and gets me to examine my motives and why I feel and act the way I do. I'll hear, "And where's Pat in all this?" in my head for the rest of my life. But she does it with caring, understanding and humor.

Thank you, God, for all these special people, and all the other special people in my life.

No comments: