Thursday, November 27, 2003

Things for which I am grateful

1. For my faith. I came into it later than most, but I have come into it deeply. I thank God for taking the reins and leading me into a relationship with Him. I've written about faith before. Thank you, Father, for the gift of your son.

2. For my health. As I creep through middle age, I receive more and more intimations of mortality. I feel the joints creak and I can't spring out of bed in the morning like I used to. Now, it's more of a slow roll and a hoist. I am grateful that I've never been hospitalized, never needed an operation, never needed to walk with crutches or a walker. Thank you, God, and when my time comes, may I bear it with dignity and trust in You.

3. For my friends. My family has disintegrated over the years, but I've developed deep friendships that have sustained me through difficult times. There are people to whom I'm much closer than my blood family, and I give thanks for them. (You know who you are.) I pray that my own family may grow closer, but I have a suspicion that God has put new people in my life because my family isn't going to be there.

4. For the call to ministry. God has used me in various ministries. I'm working and waiting for the Holy Spirit to reveal how this call is to go deeper, because I believe it is. I have felt that it will include ordination, but this remains to be determined at this time, given the climate in my diocese. I trust Him to show me what, where, when, how.

5. For freedom. We still live in a country where we can worship as our hearts and consciences call us. We still live in a country (I think) where we can vote freely and elect our lawmakers. I am grateful for being brought to the awareness of how easily those freedoms can be lost and how important it is to protect them, and to realize that all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men and women to do nothing. Therefore, I am not to do nothing. Thank you for this awareness, Lord.

6. For my home. I believe that God brought me into my little home and I'm to use it to His purpose. Today I'm having a big Thanksgiving dinner with friends, available family and co-workers. Some of them would not have much of a Thanksgiving otherwise (me either), and I just realized this morning that I am ministering by bringing together these dear people of diverse ages and backgrounds to break bread and celebrate together, to share with each other. Thank you God, for this gift.

7. For the abundance of life God has given me. He's always provided for me, one way or another, even when I was doubtful about it. He's given me the capacity for joy and love and to enjoy life. I am profoundly grateful for these gifts.

8. For the gifts yet to come.

Thank you, Abba, for all the blessings of this life. Make me worthy of these gifts and anoint me to Your purposes.

No comments: