Sunday, February 04, 2007

From Saint Pat's joke file



Prairie Home Companion seems to be my major source of jokes lately. Here's a great one I heard on the radio as I drove to church this morning:

A woman and her toddler-son walked on the beach, along the surf, one day, when the undertow suddenly caught the son and pulled him out to sea.

The woman said, "God, you can't take my son from me. He is my life. Please, you must return him; otherwise, I couldn't live. Please, God."

Sure enough, a large wave deposited the woman's son on the beach. She picked him up and tenderly held him, brushing the sand off him.

Then, she looked up into the clouds and said, "He did have a hat."


It was funny (if you didn't think so, blame it on my poor memory/paraphrasing). I laughed all the way to the church.

Like a lot of humor, it points out a truth about human failings. What an attitude of gratitude this woman didn't have!

I thought this scripture passage particularly appropriate, and added a few more.

Deuteronomy 10:21
He is your praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes.


1 Chronicles 16:34
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

1 Corinthians 15:57
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 5:20
always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

You can probably think of a million more.

1 comment:

June Butler said...

Pat, the joke was funny. BTW, I listen to "Prairie Home Companion" on the way to church, too.